Saturday, June 20, 2009

My 500th Post - Been Told to Shut Up

On rare occasions I join Yahoo groups that have something to do with ancient Christianity. At first I promise myself that I will not get into fights with people. For about a day, I follow my own advice. Then I inevitably post a response to something and then someone challenges my assertions, I respond to their response and then before I know it I am getting warned by the group moderator to shut up.

Here is the latest:

Steve,

Please tone down the rhetoric on the textual-criticism group. It is meant for scholarly debate, not dogmatic religious or dogmatic non-religious ideologies. You are posting to a very intelligent group of people who can see right through unreasonable confidence and rhetoric. As the saying goes, the more one learns, the more one realizes there is to learn.

I have gotten a lot of email from the group recently because of the Morton Smith topic, and I imagine others are getting annoyed with this "debate" as well. Personally, I would appreciate it if this topic could be dropped considering how it seems to inflame people.

Thank you,
Bryan Cox
Co-Moderator Textual-Criticism Yahoo Group


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.