Friday, July 17, 2009

Hanging Out With Trobisch

You know I am crazy when I get a big contract for my show and all that I am excited about is getting to hang out with David Trobisch. David and I go way back. We actually have a surprisingly similar background (at least on a personal level) as both of us come from German ancestry with a strong connection to Africa.

It is noteworthy that he wrote reviews for both of my books (one published, the other unpublished). What he sees in me I will never know. I can say that I found in my rather limited discussions with him that he has a trait I have always found among the most brilliant minds - an openness to new ideas and new perspectives.

I was first drawn to David by Bob Price, another person to whom I owe a great debt. I couldn't believe that he came to many of the same conclusions about Polycarp of Smyrna (I have since changed my mind of course and blame Irenaeus for the canon). In any event I have always known I was stupid. Trobisch has the rare distinction of making me aware of my own limitations while at the same time inspiring me to learn more.

Indeed what I love the most about his The First Edition of the New Testament (if you haven't bought this book everyone out there should) is that it is so concise and so well written that even your mother could read it and find it interesting.

I happen to have known both David and the recently deceased Martin Hengel and in my mind there really was no comparison between the two. While Hengel may have had the bigger name, Trobisch got it right. Hengel's arguments against Trobisch's groundbreaking interpretation of the development of the New Testament canon actually work against his own theories.

I really believe that while Hengel had a lot of important insights, it was only Trobisch who was gifted enough to synthesize the information and see the underlying historical pattern.

I hope I manage to discuss some matters of substance rather than going off in one of my silly comedy routines ...


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.