Monday, November 9, 2009

Well So Much For that Blog Post ...

I had a great idea for a post that I was developing earlier today - questioning why Jeffrey and Carlson didn't bother to submit an article in the BAR issue - and then I discovered from Professor Jeffrey himself that he wasn't asked!

Here is the comment he posted on my previous post:

The reason I did not write for the latest BAR issue is that I was never asked. I did not know it was coming until I saw it on the newsstand as you did. Had I been asked I would have written something. There is a session about my book at the upcoming SBL, in which there will be time for anyone to raise questions.

Peter Jeffery


So much for my post and so much for my praise of BAR for getting it right for once. I am not a partisan. Above all else, I want every REASONABLE position to get heard in an important debate like the authenticity of the Letter to Theodore.

It does not make me happy to hear that people weren't asked to participate who SHOULD HAVE participated.

As I said time and time again, scholarship is in a mess and I for one don't know how to fix it. In many ways it mirrors what's wrong with the country.

It makes you wonder whether we're going to last as a nation if we can't conduct a free and open dialogue about something as basic as the authenticity of Morton Smith's find ...


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.