Tuesday, January 12, 2010

On the Difficulties With Using MacDonald's English Translation of the Mimar Marqe

I almost forgot with all the drama that we are doing a daily reading from the most important text in the Samaritan tradition - the Mimar Marqe (the Treatise of Mark). I hadn't yet written any comments on the last chapter. I always check with Dr. Ruairidh Boid of Monash University before I make any pronouncement. I was about to say something about what appeared to be an association between the crossing of the Red Sea, baptism and the conversion of some of the Egyptians in MacDonald's (lousy) English translation. Boid just sent me an email warning me against doing that based on his familiarity with the original Aramaic:

The passages from Macdonald’s translation you have quoted are misleading. There is no suggestion of conversion during the passage of the Red Sea. It is best to assume Marqe agrees with the Rabbinic view that the conversions were on the Passover night or the day leading up to that, or otherwise over the course of the period of the plagues.
 
Get stuck into the Hebrew. You need it.


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.