Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Boid Confirms that יון COULD HAVE BEEN a Diminutive form of John or Jonathan

I just received this email from my friend and well regarded Semitic language expert Ruaridh Boid of Monash University:

The Greek Iona corresponds to Hebrew Yona yod vav nun he which is a diminutive. But as I said yod vav nun COULD exist as a diminutive of either name but is not attested.

Well folks, that's good enough for me.  I am officially starting work on my next book which (among other things) the kabbalistic system developed by St.Mark for his gospel based on the information that Irenaeus gives us in Book One of his Against All Hersies (or Refutation and Overthrow of Knowledge Falsely So Called).  My only question for Boid is how Iona would be distinguished from Jonah before the fifth century (when diacritical marks were first used).  In any event, the book is now a go.  I also received an email from Harry about the underwater investigation in Alexandria which I will publish shortly.


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.