Sunday, August 8, 2010

How God Lost His Balls

After getting a lot of feedback and interest from my research into the subject of castration rituals among the earliest Christians I have decided to make this the subject of my next book.  I have tentatively decided on a title too - 'How God Lost His Balls.'  I even have the cover design sort of thought out in my head.  A bare line drawing of an open pair of legs and underneath two apples and a banana lying on the ground in a suggestive manner.

While the title seems sort of jarring and crass there is a double entendre of sorts.  There are two meanings to 'losing one's balls' or 'mojo.'  I hope to argue that Christianity eventually just became a religion of conformity, aping middle class values.  That becoming successful made it lose what made it interesting and perhaps - what made it a fulfillment of Jewish messianic and Platonic contemplative speculation. 

It might be hard for some to empathize with those who ritually castrated themselves to be near to God but I think I can pull it off.  I am married after all ...


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.