Wednesday, December 26, 2012

More Parallel 'Centonized Apostolikon' References Between Clement of Alexandria, Marcion and Methodius

"For," says he, "I have begotten you through the gospel. Ye are my children, of whom I travail again in birth." (1 Corinthians 4:15; Galatians 4:19) [Tertullian Against Marcion 5.8.6]

For he says, My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you (Galatians 4:19) and again, In Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the Gospel. (1 Corinthians 4:15) [Methodius Banquet of the Ten Virgins 9]

That is why Paul says in his letter to Galatians, "My little children, I am going through the pains of childbirth with you a second time until Christ is formed in you" (Galatians 4:19) Yet again in writing to the Corinthians he says, "You may have thousands of tutors in Christ but only one father. I am your father in Christ through the gospel." (1 Corinthians 4:15) [Clement Stromata 3.99.3]

I think I could literally come up with at least fifty - possibly a hundred - parallels like this between the writings of Clement and Methodius.  Doesn't that make a strong argument that there was a common Apostolikon and that their writings were subsequently corrupted?  I can't believe that people are going to argue that the parallels between patterns of scriptural citation happen to be mere 'coincidence.'  I am convinced Tertullian is actually preserving the original 'centonized' Apostolikon of the Marcionites here, a canon shared with Clement and Methodius.


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.