Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Looks Like I Won't Be Getting a PhD Any Time Soon ...

I received two wonderful emails on the last day of the year and the first day of the year.  The first a rejection letter from the University of Durham.  Why did I send an email inquiring for a position I couldn't be accepted for?  I don't know.  It's not like I can make my mortgage go away either.  I just saw the opportunity to formally study the relationship between the Marcionites and the Diatessaron.  Of course the opportunity would mean that I would be studying under Francis Watson - a man who is at the forefront of the fringe movement to reject the authenticity of Secret Mark.

In any event, Watson was polite citing my 'familiarity with the material' (or perhaps he was saying that I was not even at the start of 'my scholarly development') as the reason for my rejection:
Dear Mr Huller,

Thank you for your thoughts on Marcion and the Diatessaron. The PhD position is intended for someone at an early stage in their scholarly development, so, as you say, you would not be a suitable candidate – but I wish you well in your ongoing research.

Best wishes,

Francis Watson

In any event, I saw, I came, I was rejected.  But at least now I know.  That's the path to happiness.  As Nietzsche says somewhere, happiness is a yes, a no and a straight line (quote?).  The other bit of good news is that I have been receiving wonderful New Year's wishes from loyal readers of this blog.  Really appreciate all the feedback.


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.