Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I Think I Have Discovered the Original Aramaic Word for Cross

It has become fashionable in some circles to deny the possibility that the gospel has an Aramaic underpinning.  However I can't go along with that.  It's not that I find the use of Aramaic words in Mark all that convincing.  Nor can I deny that there is a strange obsession with Latin terminology in the existing narrative.  Indeed the reason I believe that there was an original Aramaic gospel doesn't come down to a single argument or only one consideration.  There are a multitude of factors, perhaps the strongest being that I can't make sense of Christianity from the existing Greek narratives.

Let me give the reader just one example.  I don't understand the interest in the Cross.  I can't get my head around that one at all.  But I may have found my solution in the Aramaic term nir which has a surprising history.  I think it means both fire and cross and it explains why the two terms are linked - i.e. the baptism of fire.  More to follow.  In the meantime here is the appropriate page from Jastrow.





Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.