Sunday, December 29, 2013

Why Don't Scholars of Valentinism Know the Samaritan Tradition Regarding the Angel Man (Ish)?

This is what bothers me about Christian scholarship generally.  These people want to be taken seriously as 'experts' on the Biblical heritage related to the New Testament but time and time again they demonstrate that they haven't an inkling beyond the most superficial knowledge of Judaism.  The example of the Anthropos aeon that shows up in Valentinianism.  I've been doing a lot of research over the weekend hoping to find something interesting.  There are countless theories about where the heretics got the idea of the angelic figure of 'Man' but not a single reference to the Samaritan idea that the man-figure (ish) in the Pentateuch was an important angel. 

I know why they don't reference the concept.  No one has written about it (at least as far as I can see).  How do I know about it?  I happen to have a Samaritan friend, a friend who happens to have made me clear a Sunday waiting to meet him with my son and then he cancelled at the last minute.  Nonetheless I still love him dearly.


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.