Thursday, November 20, 2014

104. the gospel of Marcion's description of the Last Supper most closely resembles 'according to Mark'

Then, having taken the bread and given it to His disciples, He made it His own body, by saying, "This is my body," that is, the figure of my body… He likewise, when mentioning the cup and making the covenant to be sealed in His blood, affirms the reality of His body… In order, however, that you may discover how anciently wine is used as a figure for blood, turn to Isaiah… Mk 14:22-25 And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take it: this is my body. [c.f. v. 22:19a] And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it. [c.f. v. 22:17] And he said unto them, This is my blood of the covenant, [c.f. v. 22:20b] which is shed for many. [c.f. v. 22:20c] Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, [c.f. v. 22:18a] until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God. [c.f. v. 22:18b]


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.