Friday, June 12, 2009

On the Kabbala of Marcus the Gnostic - Part 2

I wrote:

Do you remember when I figured out that Irenaeus AFG Book 1 chapter 13 - 15's description of Marcus' kabbalah was actually based on a Hebrew rather than Greek system? I found something amazing by carrying on a bit further.

You remember where Irenaeus says that Marcus took away the letter vav or 6 from the standard list of numbers and ended up getting all the "codes" of the gospel. Watch what happens when you take the addition practice up to the number 25:

1 +2 = 3
+ 3 = 6 (vav the letter of repentance)
+ 4 = 10 (the decad)
+ 5 = 15
+ 7 = 22 (the letters of the Hebrew alphabet
+ 8 = 30 (the number of the thirtyfold harvest etc.)
+ 9 = 39
+ 10 = 49 Damah a word very important in Frankish
+ 11 = 60 (the number of the sixtyfold harvest)
+ 12 = 72 (the number of apostles; Greek numerical value of Jesus; Aramaic dove jonah) chesed
+ 13 = 85 the name Daniel
+ 14 = 99 (plus the lost sheep = the hundred fold harvest and yamin)
+ 15 = 114
+ 16 = 130
+ 17 = 147
+ 18 = 165
+ 19 = 184
+ 20 = 204
+ 21 = 225
+ 22 = 247
+ 23 = 270
+ 24 = 294 "Melchizedek" "Nimrod"
+ 25 = 319
+ 26 = 345 = the number of Moses, Marqeh and haShem

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THIS SYSTEM WAS JUST INVENTED BY A HERETIC. THE REFERENCE TO MOSES ISN'T EVEN MENTIONED IN THE CHURCH FATHERS. WHAT I WONDER IS WHETHER THIS WAS A KNOWN JEWISH OR SAMARITAN CIPHER. I DID MANAGE TO TRACK DOWN THE FACT THAT TWO OF THE JEWISH PSALMS FEATURE ACROSTICS WHICH HAVE PUZZLED SCHOLARS FOR THE FACT THAT THEY DO NOT INCLUDE A LINE FOR VAV.

Could I have stumbled on to an ancient code of the Torah?

Boid wrote back:

I think you’re certainly right. The next question is, why would a system that leaves a letter out be devised? It might be worth considering that there are very very few words in Hebrew stating with vav. In Biblical Hebrew they are nearly all (perhaps all — I’ll have to have a look) words borrowed from Persian. The same in Mishnaic Hebrew, though there are a few real Semitic words such as va’ad (VAV-‘AYIN-DALETH) meaning an assembly (in the Presbyterian sense) or governing committee or elite organisation. For the moment I can’t remember whether the word varad or vered meaning a rose and borrowed from Persian first occurs in Biblical or Mishnaic Hebrew. This means a sentence can only start with the letter vav if it means “and”, and this means the sentence is NEVER INDEPENDENT..

When working out the acrostics for chapters XI and XII of the Asatir, I was not at all satisfied with what I put down for vav. Now I will have to look again to see whether in fact there is no verse for vav in either chapter. I will have a look at the O.T. acrostics without vav, and also look to see if there are any with vav, and see if the context or message is different in passages with and without a verse a verse starting with vav. Thanks for this. I will use it and quote it in your name.

I forgot to mention that this code is not otherwise known.


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.