Saturday, October 3, 2009

Searching for an Ante-Nicene Reference to Mark 14:52

I know it has to be there somewhere but I can't for the life of me find a single Church Father who knows or makes a comment on this vital passage in the Gospel of Mark. This is very strange. I have noticed however that the Syriac word 'to flee' ܥܪܩ can also mean 'to chase' in Aramaic. I am beginning to see parallels with the story of the young Origen (he also had his 'finger' mutilated too).

Pope Peter I (early fourth century) and his vision of naked 'little Mark' wrapped in a linen cloth at the saint's Martyrium in the Passion Petri Sancti could equally apply to LGM 1 or Mark. It also doesn't settle the wording of the passage.

Very strange that it is so difficult to find a Church Father who cites Mark 14:52 before Nicaea ...

If you are interested in reading how this observation fits within my greater understanding of the workings of Secret Mark WITHIN the contemporary Alexandrian Church please go here

If you want to read more about how Alexandrian Christianity was rooted in the Jewish traditions of Alexandria, Philo of Alexandria and more feel free to purchase my new book here



Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.