Friday, June 24, 2011

I've Solved the Riddle of Mar Saba Document- John Priggos (Ιωάννης Πρίγκος) Fame Greek Nationalist (and the Guy Who Sent the Voss Edition to Zagoras) Was the Scribe Who Wrote Mar Saba 65

I want to thank Charlie Hedrick and all the unnamed people who kept telling me I was wrong about Callinicus because the handwriting doesn't match exactly. They were all right. It took me a whole day to finally admit that but I didn't give up. I figured there was still too much going for the whole Zagoras connection (i.e. the shipment of books from Amsterdam). So I decided to go through all the books that were in the Zagoras library tonight, one by one - and then I found the match.

It was the guy sending the books - John Priggos. He must have sent a copy of the book to Callinicus or possibly the library with the Letter to Theodore written inside.

In any event just go to http://http://publiclibs.ypepth.gr

Then click on the large orange banner that goes across the screen and then enter some of this information into the search field that comes up in a purple box on the left hand side of screen:

Βιβλιοθήκη: Βιβλιοθήκη Ζαγοράς
Αρ. Εισαγωγής: 132
Τίτλος: [ Ιωάννου Πρίγκου ειδήσεις αφορώσαι εις την Ευρώπη και σημειώσεις ]
Συγγραφέας: [ Πρίγκος, Ιωάννης ]
Εκδότης: [χ.ό.]
Σελίδες: 186
Τύπος υλικού: Βιβλίο/Χειρόγραφο
Τόπος Έκδοσης: [χ.τ.]
Ημ/νία έκδοσης αρχείου: [χ.χ]

I will post the handwriting tomorrow when I get a spare moment but the bottom line actually is that Agamemnon Tselikas's observations weren't all stupid. They were actually all on the money - save for the conclusion that because of the signs that the writer wasn't an educated Greek monk meant the text was a forgery.

John Priggos was a self-made man who was something of a philistine. He could bluff his way in educated circles but he must have still been 'rough around the edges.' In any event, I am calling Agamemnon Tselikas right now to get him to authenticate my discovery.

He's such an honest and sincere man I know I can get him to see that we was at least half right about this. We don't need to find the manuscript any more. I've just proven it's authentic.


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.