Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Single and Double Stroke Lambda Question and Callinicus (III) IV

One of the few good things in my life is that I can pick up the phone at any time of the day and ask one of the greatest living scholars to guide me out of the darkness of my own limitations. I asked David Trobisch today whether I should give up on connecting Callinicus III (IV) as the author of Mar Saba 65 merely because most of Callinicus's surviving works demonstrate a preference for double stroke lambdas. He said that one shouldn't solely focus on individual letters. It is the whole picture that counts - i.e. the evidence that points to 'habits of writing' in similar situations etc.


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.