Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Parallels between Secret Mark and the Diatessaron-tradition (Part 1)

I happen to think that Secret Mark is related to the Diatessaron tradition. The reason for my assumption is that LGM2 'inserts' material just before the exact place where the Diatessaron 'inserts' the Lukan story of Bartimaeus into Mark chapter 10. I will demonstrate this later but because I am pressed for time with my mother visiting let me show something else worth noting from the Codex Fuldensis.

As I think that the whole section of Mark chapter 10 has the thread of Mark's little disciple Mark running throughout it and I have always had difficulty explaining why Jesus foretells what most people presume to be his own death and resurrection in what follows. Yet notice that in Matthew and Fuldensis the word 'killed' is removed and replaced with the mere idea of 'crucifixion' (which as we know from the ending of Galatians can apply to early Christians who never actually underwent a physical crucifixion.

So we read:

Then taking again the twelve, he said to them: Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and all things shall be accomplished which were written by the prophets concerning the Son of man. He shall even be betrayed to the chief priests and to the scribes, and they shall deliver him to the Gentiles and he shall be mocked and scourged and spit upon and crucified, and the third day shall rise again.

The point is of course is that the Marcionites (and Bultmann) knew that Jesus speaks of the 'Son' or 'Son of Man' in the third person because he was something else other than Jesus. Yet now we see that this Son of Man doesn't actually get 'killed' but only crucified like that guy who the Marcionites say wrote both the gospel and the epistles of their canon shouts out:

the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world

and

I bear on my body the marks of Jesus

which is especially interesting given the fact that the Alexandrian tradition as early as the end of the third century (Peter I) says that the guy who emerges resurrected from the tomb at the end of the gospel was someone other than Jesus.

Remember how that guy isn't recognized as Jesus until he shows the marks on his hands and feet ...

The Alexandrians have always said that Mark was the 'beholder of God,' that he was the only witness to the historical Passion. It says so in the Passio Petri Sancti in no uncertain terms.

Indeed everything about theology of this guy who established the Marcionite community emphasizes that he felt he was crucified WITH Jesus while he stood under the Cross looking at his crucified example:

Before whose very eyes was Jesus clearly portrayed as crucified.

Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin

For to be sure, he was crucified in weakness, yet he lives by the majesty of God.

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Come on you dimwits who still believe that the story of Christianity is just about Jesus dying, resurrected and screwing with the heads of his disciples so they wouldn't know it was him while he was standing around them.


There was this other guy - another neaniskos - who was baptized and prepared by Jesus to sit on the throne resurrected with Jesus' Christ soul glorifying his flesh.

Your imbecilic guides hid the truth from you because they were afraid of the influence of this movement. Secret Mark preserves for us the key part of the story - the one which tells of Christ's 'redemption.'

If you are interested in reading how this observation fits within my greater understanding of the workings of Secret Mark WITHIN the contemporary Alexandrian Church please go here

If you want to read more about how Alexandrian Christianity was rooted in the Jewish traditions of Alexandria, Philo of Alexandria and more feel free to purchase my new book here



Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.