Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sun Worship in Christian Antiquity

From Roger Pearse's forthcoming translation of Firmicus Maternus at his wonderful site:

If the sun gathered all humanity assembled together for him to address them, he would undoubtedly attack your despair by a discourse such as this: “So who, weak mortals, revolting every day and in every way against the supreme god, has pushed you, in your perverse taste for a profane error, to this great crime of claiming, according to your pleasure, sometimes that I am alive, sometimes that I am dead? If only you would follow one tradition, and apply to me only one invention of your unhealthy imagination! If only the perfidy of your wicked thought would gave itself free play without covering me with shame! But in throwing yourselves into these abysses, you do not spare me either, and your language respects nothing, but you dishonour me while running to your death and your loss.

Some with a mad eagerness claim that in Egypt I damaged myself in the waves of the Nile and his fast swirls; others weep for the loss which I have suffered of the sexual parts; others make me perish by a painful death, and sometimes boil in a pot, sometimes I have my members torn and impaled on seven spikes. He who flatters me a little by a more balanced account says that I am the coachman of a quadriga. Finish and reject these so disastrous follies, and take this profitable advice: seek the true way of salvation.


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.