Thursday, November 19, 2009

I Think I Figured Out Where Epiphanius Got the Name 'Borborites' From

I have been reading Amnon Linder's the Jews in the Legal Sources of the Early Middle Ages and was puzzled by repeated mention of a Christian heretical sect identified as 'the Borborites' apparently from the Greek borboros or 'mud.' The earliest mention is in Epiphanius and he connects them with a general Gnostic milieu who are also identified as the 'Zacchaeans.' I strongly suspect that the allusion again is to the redemption ritual of the Marcosians (the first figure identified by Irenaeus as a gnostikos) albeit channeled through 2 Peter 2:20 - 22:

They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. 20If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. 22Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit," and, "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud (borboros)."

Here is the original reference in Epiphanius:

In turn these Gnostics have emerged in the world... They base their teachings on foolish visions and testimonies in what they maintain is a Gospel. For they make the following allegation: “I stood upon a lofty mount,and saw a man who was tall, and another, little of stature. And I heard as it were the sound of thunder and drew nigh to hear, and he spake with me and said, I am thou and thou art I, and wheresoever thou art, there am I; and I am sown in all things. And from wheresoever thou wilt gatherest thou me, but in gathering me, thou gatherest thyself.”.... But I am afraid of revealing the whole of this potent poison...to the reader’s harm rather than his correction. For it does pollute the ears, the blasphemous assembly with its great audacity, its gathering and description of its dirt, the filthy (βορβορω'δης) ill - will of its scummy obscenity ... in Egypt the same people are known as Stratiotics and Phibionites, as I said inpart earlier. But some call them Zacchaeans, others, Barbelites. [Epiphanius Panarion I, Book 26 Leiden: E. J.Brill, 1987]


Email stephan.h.huller@gmail.com with comments or questions.


 
Stephan Huller's Observations by Stephan Huller
is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.